Ponder in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ponder
Photographed by Morgan Petermann, July 28, 2024
1. Ponder Marker
Inscription.
Ponder. . Settlers began to arrive in western Denton County in the 1850s in search of rich agricultural land. Silas Christal (1810-1883), his wife, Mary Elizabeth (Burnett) (1811-1883), and their twelve children arrived in 1855 from Missouri. Christal built an ox-driven mill to grind corn and, in 1880, built a school on his property. The town of Gerald was established in 1886 when the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway decided to create a line from Fort Worth to Indian territory in present-day Oklahoma. Another town in Texas was named Gerald, so the town was renamed Ponder in honor of William A. Ponder (1848-1911), a prominent landowner. The Denton Creek system provided settlers with ample resources and fertile land for agricultural production of wheat, corn, oats, and cotton. , In the late 1800s, churches formed to serve the growing community and included a Baptist church, Methodist church, and Church of Christ. In 1894, Cornelius N. Skaggs (1869-1938) opened the first business in Ponder, a store and post office, and became the second postmaster. The town quickly grew around the railway and included general stores, a lumber yard, cotton gin, mill, a bank, and a hotel. In 1897, one of the areas largest landowners, H.F. Wakefield, donated land for a school. Community activities such as boys high school basketball and the Ponder rodeo, organized in 1939 by Chester January, Sidney Ford, and Dr. M.L. Holland, have brought the town together since the 1930s and 1940s. These local activities, businesses, education, and religious groups continue to represent the traditions and spirit of this small, rural town, incorporated in 1966.
175 Years of Texas Independence . 1836 2011.
Settlers began to arrive in western Denton County in the 1850s in search of rich agricultural land. Silas Christal (1810-1883), his wife, Mary Elizabeth (Burnett) (1811-1883), and their twelve children arrived in 1855 from Missouri. Christal built an ox-driven mill to grind corn and, in 1880, built a school on his property. The town of Gerald was established in 1886 when the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway decided to create a line from Fort Worth to Indian territory in present-day Oklahoma. Another town in Texas was named Gerald, so the town was renamed Ponder in honor of William A. Ponder (1848-1911), a prominent landowner. The Denton Creek system provided settlers with ample resources and fertile land for agricultural production of wheat, corn, oats, and cotton.
In the late 1800s, churches formed to serve the growing community and included a Baptist church, Methodist church, and Church of Christ. In 1894, Cornelius N. Skaggs (1869-1938) opened the first business in Ponder, a store and post office, and became the second postmaster. The town quickly grew around the railway and included general stores, a lumber
Click or scan to see this page online
yard, cotton gin, mill, a bank, and a hotel. In 1897, one of the areas largest landowners, H.F. Wakefield, donated land for a school. Community activities such as boys high school basketball and the Ponder rodeo, organized in 1939 by Chester January, Sidney Ford, and Dr. M.L. Holland, have brought the town together since the 1930s and 1940s. These local activities, businesses, education, and religious groups continue to represent the traditions and spirit of this small, rural town, incorporated in 1966.
175 Years of Texas Independence 1836 2011
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16798.)
Location. 33° 10.991′ N, 97° 17.255′ W. Marker is in Ponder, Texas, in Denton County. It is at the intersection of West Bailey Street and Farm to Market Road 156, in the median on West Bailey Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W Bailey St, Ponder TX 76259, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally,
Photographed by Morgan Petermann, July 28, 2024
2. Ponder Marker
Marker is placed in front (east) of flag pole at entrance of West Bailey Street at site of town's original water well, now enclosed in concrete.
this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region and in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2024. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2024, by Morgan Petermann of Hurst, Texas. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2024, by Morgan Petermann of Hurst, Texas. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.