Dublin in County Dublin, Leinster, Ireland — Mid-East (and Dublin)
Prior to 1877 St. Stephen's Green was a private square for the use of the residents of the Green. In that year, through the generosity of Sir Arthur Edward Guinness (Lord Ardilaun) negotiations were concluded for converting it into a public park.
Lord Ardilaun paid off debts against the park and invested an additional £20,000 in laying out the grounds as a park and garden. The bronze statue of Lord Ardilaun was erected by public subscriptions in 1892.
The Right Honourable Sir Arthur Edward Guinness
by whose liberality this park was laid out
and beautified for the use and enjoyment
of the citizens of Dublin
Erected by public subscription
Erected 1892 by Citizens of Dublin.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Environment • Horticulture & Forestry • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 53° 20.318′ N, 6° 15.685′ W. Marker is in DublinTouch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Emmet (within shouting distance of this marker); William Butler Yeats (within shouting distance of this marker); James Clarence Mangan (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa / Ó Donnabháin Rosa (about 120 meters away); Fusiliers’ Arch (about 120 meters away); St. Stephen's Green Bandstand (about 150 meters away); James Joyce (about 180 meters away); Countess Constance Markievicz (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dublin.
Also see . . . Lord Ardilaun. (Submitted on December 9, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,232 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on September 17, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on December 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.