Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Marshall-Carver High School
The first school for African American students in Georgetown was established in the early 20th century. Called “The Colored School,” the institution served grades 1 through 8 and provided the only local educational opportunities for African Americans. The school’s principal, Mr. S.C. Marshall, was an outspoken advocate of higher education. A scholar himself, he persuaded the school board to allow him to provide classes through the high school level. He named the new program “The Georgetown Colored High School,” and the first student enrolled in 1913. A new high school building was erected in 1923 due to increasing enrollment. When Marshall left the school in 1930, it was renamed Marshall School in his honor. The name was changed to George Washington Carver in the 1940s.
In 1962, the parents of seventeen Carver students who had been denied admission to Georgetown’s white schools filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court to force integration. The court ordered the Georgetown Independent School District to integrate one grade level per year beginning with the first grade. Partial integration began in the fall
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12302.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1967.
Location. 30° 38.506′ N, 97° 40.908′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Scenic Dr., on the right when traveling west. East of Blue Hole Park Rd. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Georgetown Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Macedonia Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wesley Chapel A.M.E. ChurchRailroad Produce Warehouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Williamson County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Emzy Taylor (approx. 0.4 miles away); M.B. Lockett Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); H. C. Craig Bulding (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on July 8, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.