Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Christian Augustus Daniel Clamp was born in Thorn, Prussia (now Torun, Poland). He came to Texas in 1846 and moved to Georgetown in 1851, a year after his marriage to Asenath C. Davis (d. 1917). A skilled carpenter and cabinetmaker, Clamp became one of the city’s earliest builders and developers. His work included residences as well as commercial, religious, and governmental buildings. He also owned a furniture business in this block for many years. An active Presbyterian and civic leader, Clamp served as mayor of the city from 1878 to 1880. He is buried in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13876.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 30° 38.239′ N, 97° 40.62′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 South Main Street, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Williamson County Sun (here, next to this marker); Shafer Saddlery (within shouting distance of this marker); Ku Klux Klan TrialsH. C. Craig Bulding (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Glasscock, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); M.B. Lockett Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . Historical Georgetown Texas. View historical landmarks of Georgetown. (Submitted on June 23, 2008, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,524 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 17, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on February 17, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 3. submitted on May 21, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 4. submitted on September 17, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.