Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Presbyterian Poplar

 
 
Site of Presbyterian Poplar Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. Site of Presbyterian Poplar Marker
Inscription.  200 feet east here was held the first ordination of a Presbyterian minister in Georgia, July 22, 1790, when John Springer was ordained and installed pastor of Smyrna, Providence and Washington churches by a Commission of the Presbytery of South Carolina composed of Rev. Robert Hall and Rev. Francis Cummins.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 22, 1790.
 
Location. 33° 44.35′ N, 82° 43.933′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on Poplar Drive (Georgia Route 17) 0.1 miles south of Alexander Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia (here, next to this marker); Gilbert-Alexander House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wisteria Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tarver-Maynard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Dugas Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); K.A. Wilheit House (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.2 miles away); Dyson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sims-Beggs House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
 
Site of Presbyterian Poplar Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
2. Site of Presbyterian Poplar Marker
The monument is next to a Georgia Historic Marker commemorating the same event.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25640

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024