Western Springs in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Water Tower
Height: 112 ft. Base diameter 36½ ft. Wall thickness 4 Ft. Tank capacity 169,000 gallons.
Erected 1973 by Western Springs Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 41° 48.584′ N, 87° 54.054′ W. Marker is in Western Springs, Illinois, in Cook County. It is on Hillgrove Avenue north of Lawn Avenue, on the right when traveling west. The marker is affixed to the Western Springs Water Tower, next to its door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 914 Hillgrove Avenue, Western Springs IL 60558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Chicago. It is also in the American Midwest and on the Great Lakes. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Viceroyalty of New France, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Western Springs Water Tower (a few steps from this marker); Korean War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); H.G. Maxted (a few steps from this marker); The August Ekdahl House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Village of Western Springs: The Early Years (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Park (approx. Ό mile away); James D. Stevenson (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Western Springs.
More about this marker. A plaque above this one denotes the building's placement on the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1981. A 2015 marker with more historical information about the water tower can
be found a few steps away in the sidewalk in front of the water tower.
Regarding The Water Tower. The water tower housed municipal offices, including the police department and a courtroom, until 1968. In 1970 it became home to the Western Springs Historical Society. In 1991, the roof was struck by lightning and caught fire, causing extensive damage; the building was restored and reopened in 1993.
Also see . . . Tower Museum official page. The Western Springs Historical Society operates a museum out of the water tower.
Excerpt: "On December 12, 1891, Mr. Wickerson, the village president at the time, sought the villages right to place a water tower on land that had been originally known as 'Block A.' On January 27, 1892 Charles and Ruth Collins donated 'Block A' to the village of Western Springs with the understanding that it be used solely as the site for a water tower and public park. The deed also specified that the land could not be used for commercial purposes either then or at any time in the future. Design and construction of the new water tower began shortly thereafter. Both were a collaboration between Benezette Williams and Edgar Williams of the firm of Williams and Williams (which later became known as MacRichie and Nichol) and Ethan Philbrick. All three were civil engineers and residents of Western Springs. Benezette Williams and Ethan Philbrick eventually served as village presidents. The cost of the Tower combined with the sewer and pumping system and the pumping station was $79,119.10."(Submitted on September 16, 2024, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2024. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2024, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2024, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois.



