Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Central Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters

 
 
The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
1. The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters Marker
Inscription.  

Dedicated to the pursuit of education and humanitarian programs, the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs was founded in 1897. The goal of a permanent state headquarters was realized with the construction of this building in the early 1930s. Designed by prominent Dallas architect Henry Coke Knight (1896-1966), it is one of the best examples of Georgian Revival architecture in Texas and features a dominant central two-story portico and fine detailing.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6460.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location. 30° 17.267′ N, 97° 44.884′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Central Austin. Marker is on San Gabriel south of West 24th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2312 San Gabriel Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Clara Driscoll (here, next to this marker); Dr. Robert Lee "R.L." Moore (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gerhard-Schoch House (approx. ¼ mile away); Carrington Bluff House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Goodall Wooten House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Snead-Rieck House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Denny-Holliday House (approx. 0.4 miles away); J.W. and Cornelia Scarbrough House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
2. The Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters and Marker
The marker is to the left of the porch in this view of the Headquarters building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25710

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 16, 2024