Greater South River City in Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Dental Association
This professional association traces its history to 1869, when a group of dentists met in Houston and drafted a constitution and by-laws. Dr. Menard Michau of Houston was elected first president of the association, which was officially chartered by the State of Texas on May 17, 1871. Initial membership consisted of 18 dentists and 22 honorary members.
The association experienced difficulties during the 1870s, and by 1880 Texas dentists saw the need for a reorganization. A new society, the Texas State Dental Association, was formed and held its first meeting in Houston on November 25, 1880. The members elected Dr. William S. Carruthers of Galveston as president. At a meeting in Austin in August 1881 members of the original and new organizations voted to merge and operate under the original group's 1871 charter.
The association has held annual meetings for its members since 1880. The "Texas Dental Journal," dating to 1883, is the oldest continuously published dental periodical in the western hemisphere. Headquartered in Austin since 1971, the association has been instrumental in drafting and effecting legislation regulating
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12246.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1892.
Location. 30° 14.315′ N, 97° 44.342′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Greater South River City. Marker is on South IH 35 Frontage Road south of Woodlawn Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1946 S IH-35, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walter and Mae Simms House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reuter House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ward Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ollie O. Norwood Estate (approx. 0.8 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Academy (approx. one mile away); Robert S. Stanley House (approx. one mile away); Saint Edward’s University Main Building (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.