Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Brackenridge Hospital

 
 
Brackenridge Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
1. Brackenridge Hospital Marker
Inscription.  

When Edwin Waller surveyed the Austin townsite in 1839, he set aside this block, in what was then the northeast corner of the city, for a hospital. The site lay empty until 1884, when the City of Austin and Travis County jointly opened a 20-bed, two-story facility known as City/County Hospital.

During the early 1900s the city purchased the county’s share of the hospital and assumed full responsibility for its operation. In 1912 Dr. Robert John Brackenridge (1839-1918), a retired physician, worked for the passage of a bond election that allowed construction of a new, 45-bed facility, which was completed in 1915. The 1884 building was razed in 1927, and two years later the name of the hospital was changed to honor Dr. Brackenridge. Since then, expansion of facilities and services has meant quality medical care for citizens of Austin and the surrounding area.

Over the years, the hospital staff has cared for victims of the 1918 influenza epidemic, the mid-20th century polio outbreak, and the 1966 sniping attack at the University of Texas. As the state’s oldest continuing public hospital, Brackenridge was the site of the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
first intracranial and open-heart surgeries and of the first kidney transplant in central Texas.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15416.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 30° 16.489′ N, 97° 44.025′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 15th Street and Red River Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 E 15th Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Swedish Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Samuel Huston College (approx. ¼ mile away); Scholz Garten (approx. ¼ mile away); Heman Sweatt Campus (approx. ¼ mile away); Texas and the Civil War (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lorenzo de Zavala State Archives and Library Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Archive War (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1928 Granite Water Fountain (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Regarding Brackenridge Hospital. Brackenridge Hospital is being demolished in 2020/2021. The marker has either been moved or is under a pile of rubble.
 
Also see . . .  University Medical Center - Brackenridge
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. (Submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,431 times since then and 30 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25779

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021