Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Forsyth in Monroe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Forsyth

 
 
Forsyth Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
1. Forsyth Marker
Inscription.  Forsyth, County Seat of Monroe County, was incorporated by Act of Legislature in 1823. It is in almost the exact geographical center of the State. First commissioners were James S. Phillips, Henry H. Lumpkin, John E. Bailey, Anderson Baldwin and Samuel Drewry. Forsyth was named for John Forsyth who, as U.S. Minister to Spain, negotiated the final treaty by which Florida and other lands held by Spain were ceded to the U.S. He served as Governor, Senator and U.S. Secretary of State under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 102-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson, the Former U.S. Presidents: #08 Martin Van Buren, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
 
Location. 33° 2.09′ N, 83° 56.354′ W. Marker is in Forsyth, Georgia, in Monroe County. Marker is at the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
intersection of West Johnson Street and North Jackson Street, on the left when traveling west on West Johnson Street. The marker is at the northwest corner of the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forsyth GA 31029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forsyth Courthouse Square National Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); The Honorable Hugh D. Sosebee (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Georgia Volunteers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County (within shouting distance of this marker); Where Uncle Remus Came of Age (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County (Ga.) Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); James Dry Cleaners (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Record Shop (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forsyth.
 
Forsyth Marker and Monroe County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Forsyth Marker and Monroe County Courthouse
Forsyth Courthouse Square National Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert
3. Forsyth Courthouse Square National Historic District Marker
Monroe County Courthouse, built in 1825 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
4. Monroe County Courthouse, built in 1825
The marker is located on the courthouse square.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,124 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on January 10, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on December 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25945

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024