Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beaufort in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House

 
 
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  " Here, in 1794, I had the happiness, instrumentally, to lay the foundation of a place of worship which composed of the best materials, and classes with the most neat and commodious Baptist meetinghouses in the United States." (Rev. Henry Holcombe, First Fruits in a Series of Letters) This construction involved erection of a structure measuring 30' - 2'' north / south by 36' - 4" east / west, suitable for intermittent use by a small congregation.

Over time, the church grew and was constituted The Baptist Church of Beaufort in 1804, with Rev. Joseph Bullein Cook, pastor. Soon after, in 1805, the structure was enlarged, extending the old building northward and producing a building measuring 65' - 8" by 36 - 4". Galleries were added to accommodate the large black membership; later, a bell tower was added.

In 1842 the north wall began to bulge and the roof was failing, leading to the condemnation and demolition of the structure. The tabby walls were cut down to a uniform height and capped with concrete. The present brick sanctuary was completed in 1844 under the direction of Dr. Richard
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Fuller, pastor. It is recorded that the church worshiped for the first time in the new building on April 14, 1844. In November 1845, on the site of old church, burial lots were allotted and assigned to five prominent church members (Fuller, Sams, Givens, Hazel, Smith).
 
Erected by The Baptist Church of Beaufort.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1903.
 
Location. 32° 26.099′ N, 80° 40.387′ W. Marker is in Beaufort, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Charles Street near Prince Street, on the right when traveling south. Located northside of churchyard / cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaufort SC 29902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baptist Church of Beaufort (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Baptist Church of Beaufort (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Army of the Republic Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wesley Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Richard Heron Anderson (about 500 feet away); Colonel John Barnwell (about 500 feet away); St. Helena's Episcopal Church
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
2. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker
"Northeast corner of 1805 Baptist Meeting House addition"
(about 600 feet away); Stephen Elliott Jr (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaufort.
 
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker, northeast corner image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, December 22, 2009
3. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker, northeast corner
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House northeast corner image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
4. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House northeast corner
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House , westside junction image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
5. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House , westside junction
"West side junction of north end of 1794 building and 1805 addition"
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
6. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House
"Northwest corner of 1805 Baptist Meeting House addition"
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, November 19, 2009
7. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House Marker
"Southeast corner of 1794 Baptist Meeting House"
Note the "tabby wall", concrete and brick capped ,as mentioned on marker
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
8. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House
"East side junction of north end of 1794 building and 1805 addition"
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
9. Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House
Today's Baptist Church of Beaufort image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
10. Today's Baptist Church of Beaufort
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25958

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024