Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Barnesville in Lamar County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lamar County

 
 
Lamar County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
1. Lamar County Marker
Inscription.  Lamar County was created by Act of State Assembly August 17, 1920. It was named for Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar, lawyer, Colonel in the Confederate Army, U.S. Senator, Secretary of the Interior and Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. The first officers of Lamar County included: B.H. Hardy, Ordinary; S.J. Childers, Clerk of Court; Z.T. Elliott, Sheriff; E. Luther Butler, Tax Receiver; Gus Smith, Tax Collector; W. C. Jordan, Treasurer; B.K. Crouch, Coroner; Roger H. Taylor, Surveyor; J.F. Redding, Judge; Mrs. Mattie Barnes, School Supt.; H.M. Johnson, E.O. Dobbs, H. J. Kennedy, Solicitors.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 085-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
 
Location. 33° 3.158′ N, 84° 9.365′ W. Marker is in Barnesville, Georgia, in Lamar County. Marker is on Thomaston Road (Georgia Route 36) 0.1 miles north of Holmes Street, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling north. The markers stands on the lawn of the Lamar County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 326 Thomaston Street, Barnesville GA 30204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of America's Revolutionary War Soldiers (here, next to this marker); Barnesville Blues (here, next to this marker); Lamar County Georgia Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Lamar County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Old Jail Museum and Archives (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barnesville Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Lamar County (Ga.) 20th Century War Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); Streamliner Nancy Hanks II (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barnesville.
 
Regarding Lamar County. Lamar was the second-to-last country formed in Georgia.
 
Lamar County Marker and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Lamar County Marker and Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1931. It is the only courthouse Lamar County has ever had. The marker can just be seen to the left of the courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,227 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25975

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024