Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Methodist Church
Bishop Francis Asbury visited Washington many times during his 17 trips to Georgia. He held the Second Methodist Conference in Georgia in the log Courthouse, near the site of the present Wilkes County Courthouse. Rev. Hope Hull and Rev. Lorenzo Dow were among the famous pioneer Circuit Riders to hold revival meetings in Washington. Rev. Lovick Pierce, leader in early Methodism, was the first recorded pastor of this church.
Erected 1958. (Marker Number 157-20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1819.
Location. 33° 44.14′ N, 82° 44.38′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street (Georgia Route 47) and West Liberty Street when traveling north on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Liberty Street, Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Town Lot #36 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1878 Medical Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Office (about 400 feet away); Cleveland's Corner (about 400 feet away); William Dearing (about 400 feet away); Site of the Confederate Commissary & Quartermaster's Stores (about 400 feet away); Stage Coach Inn (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 29, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on December 29, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4, 5. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.