Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Pearson in Atkinson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Kinnaird Trail

 
 
Kinnaird Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Brown
1. Kinnaird Trail Marker
Inscription.  Kinnaird Trail, considered the oldest public road in Wiregrass Georgia, follows an Indian trail used before white men came to this country. In Revolutionary days, it was named Kinnaird Trail as the route was used by Indians and traders travelling from St. Marys to an Indian trading post on the Flint River operated by Jack Kinnaird.

After 1820, settlers from North and South Carolina, Tennessee and middle Georgia homesteaded on and along the trail.

0.5 mile from here on Kinnaird Trail is Salem Church established about 1890. It has been prominent in the religious and educational life of the community.
 
Erected 1992 by State of Georgia. (Marker Number 002-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 31° 12.049′ N, 82° 54.912′ W. Marker is in Pearson, Georgia, in Atkinson County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 221 and Kinnaird Trail (
Kinnaird Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Brown, December 29, 2009
2. Kinnaird Trail Marker
County Road 29), on the right when traveling south on U.S. 221. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pearson GA 31642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem Church (approx. half a mile away); Guest Mill Pond (approx. 4.1 miles away); a different marker also named Guest Mill Pond (approx. 4.1 miles away); Bethany Baptist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Atkinson Court House (approx. 7˝ miles away); Minnie F. Corbitt Memorial Museum (approx. 7.7 miles away); First Court in Clinch County (approx. 11.7 miles away); Fender Cemetery (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pearson.
 
Salem Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Brown, December 29, 2009
3. Salem Church
Built in 1889 by Martin S. Corbitt, Salem Church also served the community as a schoolhouse in its earliest days. Corbitt later moved to Pearson and served as the town's first mayor. Services are now held once annually at a reunion of the pioneer congregation's descendants. 0.5 mile from Kinnaird Trail marker.
Kinnaird Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 16, 2012
4. Kinnaird Trail Marker
Looking north on US Highway 221 toward Pearson
Kinnaird Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 16, 2012
5. Kinnaird Trail Marker
Looking east across US Highway 221 at the remaining section of Kinnaird Trail, now Salem Church Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2009, by Brian Brown of Fitzgerald, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,039 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2009, by Brian Brown of Fitzgerald, Georgia.   4, 5. submitted on March 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 4, 2020