Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gray in Jones County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jones County

 
 
Jones County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
1. Jones County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 10, 1807, is named for James Jones of Savannah, a legislator at 23 and member of the State Constitutional Convention in 1798 in which year he was elected to Congress. The first County Site was at Clinton but it was changed to Gray in 1905. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James Riley, Clerk of Superior Court John R. Gregory, Clerk of Inferior Court James Bond, Tax Receiver Daniel Candler, Tax Collector Hillery Pratt, Coroner Thomas Thrower and Surveyor Charles Miller. First Justices of the Inferior Court were: William Binion, William Jones, Hugh M. Comer, James Jackson and John McKenzie.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 084-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 10, 1836.
 
Location. 33° 0.512′ N, 83° 32.182′ W. Marker is in Gray, Georgia, in Jones County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of West Clinton Street (U.S. 129) and South Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east on West Clinton Street. The marker stands at the Jones County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 South Jefferson Street, Gray GA 31032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Madison Gray (here, next to this marker); W. E. Knox Civic Center (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The March to the Sea (approx. 0.2 miles away); James C. Roberts Municipal Complex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. Iverson’s Birthplace (approx. 1.2 miles away); LaFayette (approx. 1.4 miles away); Macarthy-Pope House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Clinton (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gray.
 
Jones County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
2. Jones County Marker
Jones County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
3. Jones County Marker
The marker viewed from the front of the Jones County Courthouse, with South Jefferson Street in the background.
Jones County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
4. Jones County Courthouse
Jones County's first county seat was at Albany, later renamed Clinton. In 1816 a courthouse was erected in Clinton. The county seat was moved to Gray, and this new courthouse was designed by J. W. Golucke and built for $35,000. The courthouse in Clinton was torn down, and the stones from the building used to build the retaining wall for the courthouse in Gray.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,011 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on April 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26024

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024