Peterborough in Peterborough County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
The Cathedral of St. Peter-in-Chains
⎯⎯⎯
La cathedrale de St. Peter-in-Chains
Inscription.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture/Fondation du patrimoine ontarien, Ministère des Affaires civiques et culturelles.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Immigration • Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Ontario Heritage Trust series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 44° 18.32′ N, 78° 19.646′ W. Marker is in Peterborough, Ontario, in Peterborough County. It is on Hunter Street
West just east of Reid Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located near the southeast corner of the cathedral. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 Reid Street, Peterborough ON K9H 2M4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Kawarthas Northumberland Area and in Eastern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Rupert’s Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The "Grover-Nicholls" House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Sandford Fleming (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Hutchison House 1837 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Brock Street Burial (approx. half a kilometer away); The Peterborough Armoury / Le manège militaire de Peterborough (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Military (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Post Office (approx. 0.7 kilometers

Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, June 1, 2024
3. The Cathedral of St. Peter-in-Chains / La cathedrale de St. Peter-in-Chains Marker
The marker is located near the southeast corner of the cathedral (behind the construction zone fencing). There was a massive restoration project in progress at the time of this photo.
Regarding The Cathedral of St. Peter-in-Chains / La cathedrale de St. Peter-in-Chains.
From the Cathedral of St. Peter-in-Chains website: The dream of building St. Peter-In-Chains began in August of 1825/1826, nearly 200 years ago, when Peter Robinson brought a group of poor Catholic immigrants from Ireland to the promised land of Canada. Forcing their way through seemingly impenetrable virgin forests, the people claimed their 100 acres of free land in “Peterborough” to realize the dream of a new life. Ten years after their arrival, the men, women, and children began, stone by stone, to build St. Peter-In-Chains Church, with the first Stone Church completed in 1838. In 2025/2026, we will celebrate the bicentennial of our faith heritage within the original stone walls of St. Peter-In-Chains.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Robinson Settlement
Also see . . . Cathedral of St. Peter-in-Chains (Wikipedia).
Excerpt: Roman Catholic services in Peterborough(Submitted on November 12, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)were first held in a log building in 1825. The parish of St. Peter's was established in 1826 to serve the large Irish population in the area. A wood church was later erected but it was destroyed by fire in 1835 or 1836. What is now the nave portion of the cathedral was erected in 1837 with stone quarried in nearby Jackson's Park. Further alterations in 1884-1886 added the transept/sanctuary space and sacristy to the north end. The roof over the high altar was raised to correspond with the height of the nave in 1931. In 1967, the south wall was extended to the front façade of the tower adding a fifth bay to the original structure.In 1882, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peterborough was established and St. Peter's became its cathedral. Jean-François Jamot was installed as the diocese's first bishop and he is now buried in the crypt. Until 1908, it was the only Catholic church serving Peterborough and the surrounding communities of Smith, Douro, Otonobee and North Monaghan.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 12, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.




