Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jefferson in Jackson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jackson County

 
 
Jackson County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 19, 2009
1. Jackson County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 11, 1796, is named for James Jackson who later became Governor in 1798-1801. A soldier of the Revolution he served in Congress 1789-91 and in the Senate 1793-95 and 1801-06. He strongly opposed the Yazoo fraud, and died in 1806. Here in Jefferson ether was first used as an anaesthetic in surgery by Dr. Crawford W. Long on March 30, 1842. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff John Hart, Clerk of Superior Court George Taylor, Clerk of Inferior Court Daniel W. Easley, Coroner Isham Williams and Surveyor James Harper.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 078-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 11, 1856.
 
Location. 34° 7.11′ N, 83° 34.458′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Georgia, in Jackson County.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is on Washington Street (Georgia Route 11) 0.1 miles north of Sycamore Street (Georgia Route 82), on the right when traveling south. The marker is located at the Jackson County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jefferson GA 30549, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Jackson (here, next to this marker); Jackson County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Floyd G. Hoard (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Crawford W. Long and Anesthesia for Surgery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crawford Long Monument (about 500 feet away); Lest We Forget (about 500 feet away); Jackson County Troops Monument (about 500 feet away); Paradise Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
 
Jackson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 23, 2010
2. Jackson County Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1879, for $11,112. The clock tower was added in 1906.
Jackson County Courthouse (Side View) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 23, 2010
3. Jackson County Courthouse (Side View)
This was the third Jackson County Courthouse; a wooden courthouse was built in 1803, replaced by a brick courthouse in 1820. That building was replaced by the present courthouse in 1879.
James Jackson<br>1757 - 1806 image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
4. James Jackson
1757 - 1806
From Harper's Encyclopædia of United States History from 458 A.D. to 1905, by Benson Lossing and Woodrow Wilson, Volume 5, 1905.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on October 7, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26155

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024