Campbellton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Campbellton
Atascosa County was created from Bexar County in 1856 by the Sixth Legislature of Texas. The town was named after John Campbell who came to Texas from Ireland as a boy with his parents. John Campbell first came to Atascosa County around 1857 and began ranching. When the Civil War broke out, he joined the Confederacy and enlisted in Company I, 32nd Regiment, Texas Cavalry, serving as second lieutenant. After the Civil War, John Campbell returned to Atascosa County where he started a ranch between Pleasanton and Oakville. Later, Campbell opened a store that became a relay station for the mail route and, in 1874, established the first post office. In 1880, John Campbell saw the need to educate the community and donated land for a school. The school was also used as a place of worship for the community until a church was built in 1897, named the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church.
In 1913, train service to Campbellton began. The population grew and, in 1915, a new brick schoolhouse opened. During the late 1950s, oil was discovered in the area but ranching remained the top industry. Campbellton was home to John Files Tom and Joseph Daniel "Dan" Struve. Both men served as Texas legislators in 1873 and 1961, respectively. For years, State Highway 9 (and later U.S. Hwy 281) in Campbellton generated business for the community until construction of Interstate 37 between San Antonio and Corpus Christi diverted traffic away from Campbellton. Despite this setback, residents of Campbellton still come together to visit and raise funds for the volunteer fire department and Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17357.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 28° 44.572′ N, 98° 17.956′ W. Marker is in Campbellton, Texas, in Atascosa County. It is on Saint Francis Avenue north of Campbell Blvd, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located in front of the fire station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 St Francis Ave, Campbellton TX 78008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Hill Country and in the San Antonio Metropolitan Area. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Campbellton Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Town of Whitsett (approx. 7.8 miles away); Town of Fashing (approx. 10.2 miles away); Site of Old Crowther Ranch (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Another marker is no longer nearby. Coughran (was
approx. 15.6 miles away but has been confirmed missing).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2025. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


