Creston in Calhoun County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Matthew's Lutheran Church
Parent Lutheran Church of This Area
In 1737-38, the elder Rev. John U. Giessendanner from Orangeburg began Lutheran work in this area; this was continued by his nephew until 1749. By the 1760s, St. Matthew's Lutheran Church near here was in use. A later building erected at this site in 1826 was replaced by the present church in 1900. (Marker Number 9-4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 33° 37.069′ N, 80° 40.294′ W. Marker is in Creston, South Carolina, in Calhoun County. Marker is on Old Number 6 Highway (State Highway 6) near Sherlock Road, on the left when traveling north. Located about 7 miles South the town of St. Matthews. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cameron SC 29030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shady Grove Church (approx. 2 miles away); Honoring a Pioneer Woman (approx. 2.3 miles away); First Land Granted in Calhoun County Area (approx. 2.3 miles away); John Adam Treutlen (approx. 4.3 miles Good Hope Picnic (approx. 5.3 miles away); Tabernacle Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Santee~Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Jericho Methodist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,637 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.