Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown Fire Association
Newtown Heritage Walk
Photographed by Pete Skillman, December 23, 2024
1. Newtown Fire Association Marker
Inscription.
Newtown Fire Association. . In 1824, the first Newtown area fire brigade was initiated as the Washington Fire Company. This organization was fortunate enough to purchase a hand-pumper, which was labeled "Old Washy" by its members. The Washington Fire Company was replaced by the Winona Fire Company and, finally, on October 28, 1889, following a fire at the Watson and Buckman mill in Newtown, a meeting was held to form a new fire company. On November 13, 1889, the Newtown Fire Association was formally organized and received its first equipment. In 1891, the Newtown Borough Council purchased a fire bell, weighing more than 800 pounds, in order that the "alarm of fire" could be "widely spread", which is still located atop the firehouse. In the summer of 1897, the fire engine, Winona, was sold to Perkasie, and the Borough purchased a horse-drawn steam pumper, made by Silsby Manufacturing Company, Seneca Falls, New York.
On September 16, 1901, the company was incorporated under the name of "Newtown Fire Association No. 1" for the purpose of "extinguishing fires and protecting life and property." In that same year, a new firehouse was erected at 14 Liberty Street. This was the second station on this site and the third in the Borough. A two-bay addition was added to this station in 1959. In 1999, the 1959 addition was replaced by a new three-bay station connected to the 1901 firehouse and became Station 45. The 1901 firehouse has been turned into a museum and meeting rooms.
From 1980 to 1989, Newtown Township was the fastest growing community in Pennsylvania. In order to provide better service, a second station (Station 55) was built on Municipal Drive in Newtown Township and went into service on August 15, 1992. Today, the members of Stations 45 and 55 work hand-in-hand to provide a professional fire response to the Newtown Community.
Site Sponsor: The Newtown Fire Association
Design and layout donated by Mike DiFiori, www.BuzzGraphicDesign.com, Newtown, PA
[Captions]: View of the Newtown Fire Association in 1903.
Nicknamed "Old Washy," this 1796 hand-pumper was purchased by the Washington Fire Company in 1824 and was later restored in 1959, Photograph by Willie Randall, 1915.
In 1824, the first Newtown area fire brigade was initiated as the Washington Fire Company. This organization was fortunate enough to purchase a hand-pumper, which was labeled "Old Washy" by its members. The Washington Fire Company was replaced by the Winona Fire Company and, finally, on October 28, 1889, following a fire at the Watson & Buckman mill in Newtown, a meeting was held to form a new fire company. On November 13, 1889, the Newtown Fire Association was formally organized and received its first equipment. In 1891, the Newtown Borough Council purchased a fire bell, weighing more than 800 pounds, in order that the "alarm of fire" could be "widely spread", which is still located atop the firehouse. In the summer of 1897, the fire engine, Winona, was sold to Perkasie, and the Borough purchased a horse-drawn steam pumper, made by Silsby Manufacturing Company, Seneca Falls, New York.
On September 16, 1901, the company was incorporated under the name of "Newtown Fire Association No. 1" for the purpose of "extinguishing fires and protecting life and property." In that same year, a new firehouse was erected at 14 Liberty
Click or scan to see this page online
Street. This was the second station on this site and the third in the Borough. A two-bay addition was added to this station in 1959. In 1999, the 1959 addition was replaced by a new three-bay station connected to the 1901 firehouse and became Station 45. The 1901 firehouse has been turned into a museum and meeting rooms.
From 1980 to 1989, Newtown Township was the fastest growing community in Pennsylvania. In order to provide better service, a second station (Station 55) was built on Municipal Drive in Newtown Township and went into service on August 15, 1992. Today, the members of Stations 45 and 55 work hand-in-hand to provide a professional fire response to the Newtown Community.
Site Sponsor: The Newtown Fire Association
Design & layout donated by Mike DiFiori, www.BuzzGraphicDesign.com, Newtown, PA
[Captions]: View of the Newtown Fire Association in 1903.
Nicknamed "Old Washy," this 1796 hand-pumper was purchased by the Washington Fire Company in 1824 and was later restored in 1959, Photograph by Willie Randall, 1915.
Erected 2007 by Newtown Historic Association. (Marker Number 27.)
Topics and series.
Photographed by Pete Skillman, December 23, 2024
2. Newtown Fire Association Marker - wide view with station
Location. 40° 13.784′ N, 74° 56.129′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. It is on Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 Liberty St, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southeast Pennsylvania and in Greater Philadelphia. It is also in the American Northeast and in the Mid-Atlantic. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, New Netherland, and one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2024. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2024, by Pete Skillman of Townsend, Delaware. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2024, by Pete Skillman of Townsend, Delaware.