Near Sheldon in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ruins of Old Sheldon
Prince William's Parish Church
Built 1745-55. Burned 1779 by
British. Rebuilt 1826. Burned
1865 by Federal Army. Named for
ancestral home of the Bull family
in Warwickshire, England.
Second Sunday after Easter
Erected 1956 by Beaufort County Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1779.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 32° 37.091′ N, 80° 46.866′ W. Marker was near Sheldon, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker was on Old Sheldon Church Road north of Bailey Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Yemassee SC 29945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow fliesPrince William's Parish Church (a few steps from this marker); Church of Prince William's Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bull (within shouting distance of this marker); Sheldon Union Academy (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Frampton Lines / John Edward Frampton House (approx. 5 miles away); " The Frampton Line " (approx. 5.4 miles away); Southern Live Oak Tree (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Battle of Pocotaligo (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheldon.
Also see . . .
1. Sheldon Church. Beaufort County Churches (Submitted on January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Old Sheldon Church. More photos of the ruins, and a discussion of the Bull family and the surrounding community. (Submitted on January 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. from article Beaufort County Churches
The red-brick ruins of Sheldon Church, are off U.S. 17 on Old Sheldon Church Road, was originally Prince William's Parish Church. The Anglican church was built on land donated by William Bull beginning in 1745, finished around 1755. Bull was buried there in 1755. The original was adorned with equestrian statue of Prince
— Submitted January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
2. National Register of Historical Places:
Sheldon Church Ruins ** (added 1970 - Site - #70000562)
Also known as Prince William`s Parish Church
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
Architectural Style: Greek Revival
Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History, Military, Politics/Government
Period of Significance: 1750-1799, 1850-1874, 1925-1949
Historic Function: Funerary, Religion
Historic Sub-function: Cemetery, Religious Structure
Current Function: Funerary, Religion
Current Sub-function: Cemetery, Religious Structure
— Submitted January 15, 2011.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 5,610 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on January 11, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1. submitted on January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 10. submitted on January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 11. submitted on May 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 12, 13. submitted on January 17, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 14. submitted on May 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 15. submitted on July 25, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.