San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home
Daniel and Meta Best raised six children in this home, and their daughter, Viola, and her husband, Frank Webster, bought the home and raised their five children here as well. The home is a two-story Italianate Victorian with 15 rooms and a cellar. The property also included a large, old fashioned garden, a Victorian carriage house, and a workshop. The wrought-iron fence surrounding the garden was installed in 1894.
Erected by City of San Leandro.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 43.431′ N, 122° 9.509′ W. Marker is in San Leandro, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 Clarke Street, San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Leandro – Cherry Festivals (a few steps from this marker); Casa Peralta (a few steps from this marker); The Little Brown Church (within shouting distance of this marker); San Leandro Courthouse Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); San Leandro – Industry (about 400 feet away); Estudillo Home (about 500 feet away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Leandro.
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on a pole on the Southwest corner of West Estudillo Avenue and Clarke Street
Regarding Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home. The Daniel Best home was built in the late 1870's by Joseph Demont. (It is noted that the assessor's office gave a probable 1900 construction date.) The second owner of the building, in 1886, was Daniel Best, an early developer of steam tractors and plows. His tractor firm eventually evolved into the Caterpillar Tractor Co. The home is a two-story Italianate Victorian with 15 rooms and a cellar. Occupying three City lots, the property also includes a large, old-fashioned garden, a Victorian carriage house, and a workshop. The wrought-iron fence was handmade in 1894. Daniel Best lived in the home until his death in 1922. At one time the Best House was a Bed and Breakfast Inn.
Also see . . .
1. Daniel Best (Submitted on January 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. 1896 Daniel Best Gas Engine. A video showing an 1896 engine (Submitted on January 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. The History of Caterpillar, Inc. It all started with two visionaries, Benjamin Holt and Daniel Best. This is the history of Caterpillar Inc. (Submitted on January 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
4. Daniel Best on Find-A-Grave. Daniel Best is laid to rest at Evergreen Cemetery in Oakland. (Submitted on January 14, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,943 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 11, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.