East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Beal Arboretum
Botany professor William James Beal, at what was then known as State Agricultural College, recognized the need to investigate ways to regenerate forests and to encourage farmers to plant trees as commercial crops.
Beal pioneered new methods of silviculture, including site preparation, planting, transplanting, and cultivating forest trees. He established methods for developing forest nurseries and evaluating native and imported species and for tree seed storage and viability. Many of these advancements were made in the arboretum he founded. Beal would become known as the "father of Michigan forestry," among other honorifics.
The first trees were planted here in the fall of 1874. Consisting of two rows of swamp white oak (Quercus bicolor) on a 1.25-acre site, the arboretum grew to two acres by 1876, with about 275 species of trees and shrubs native to Michigan or hardy in the climate.
(Continued on other side)
As the campus grew, the arboretum faced competing needs. In 1898 a deer park was added in the southwest corner of the arboretum and an adjacent woodlot, causing considerable damage to trees and shrubs. The animals and fence were eventually removed, but that portion of the arboretum was then cleared for parking. Anticipating the loss of the arboretum, an annex was planted in 1902 between today's International Center and the Red Cedar River. The original arboretum survived the development of student housing in the 1930s and a proposed expansion of the complex in the 1990s that never occurred.
While the last plantings were recorded in 1890, selective clearing and maintenance continued. A survey conducted in 1996 determined that 69 of the original trees survived.
Erected by Michigan State University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Environment • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 42° 44.087′ N, 84° 29.13′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. It is on Delta Court, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 361 Delta Court, East Lansing MI 48823, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Mid-Michigan and in Greater Lansing. It is also in the American Midwest and on the Great Lakes. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: College House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alice B. Cowles House (about 500 feet away); Alice Cowles House (about 600 feet away); Walter Adams Field (about 700 feet away); Collegeville / East Lansing (approx. 0.2 miles away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Agricultural College World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Botanical Laboratory (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2025. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2025, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 1, 2025, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.




