Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Roscoe in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Jacob Welsh House - c.1840

 
 
Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 29, 2009
1. Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 Marker
Inscription.  
This house, built by 1840, was the home of Jacob Welsh. Welsh is on record as having been a toll collector from 1836-1837.

Being a favorite of Mrs. Frances Montgomery, one of the founders of the restoration project, this was the first building to be restored (1968).
 
Erected by Roscoe Village Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location. 40° 16.768′ N, 81° 52.564′ W. Marker is in Roscoe, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is on Whitewoman Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is about 100 feet north of the intersection of Whitewoman Street and Hill Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coshocton OH 43812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); Daniel Carroll House - c.1850 (within shouting distance of this marker); George LeRetilley House - 1853 (within shouting distance of this marker);
Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 29, 2009
2. Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Hay Craft and Learning Center - 1987 (within shouting distance of this marker); William Roscoe Building - 1840 (within shouting distance of this marker); James LeRetilley Building - 1847 (within shouting distance of this marker); Village Smithy - c.1890 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roscoe.
 
Also see . . .  Roscoe Village Foundation. (Submitted on January 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional keywords. Ohio and Erie Canal
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 806 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26404

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2021