Near Carnesville in Franklin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground
Camp meetings have been held here each year, from 1832,except four years during the War Between the States. The 50-acre plot, “extending one-half mile in every direction from the preacher’s stand,” was purchased from Daniel and Jacob Groover for $25 by William Hammons, John F. Wilson, George Shell, John B. Wade, Dennis Phillips, Thomas King and Rev. Nelson Osborne, Trustees. The first meeting, August 1832, was held under a brush arbor with 30 tents on the ground. Women were seated on one side of the arbor; men on the other. John W. Osborne, appointed usher, served at every meeting until his death in 1914.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 059-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 34° 20.183′ N, 83° 9.063′ W. Marker is near Carnesville, Georgia, in Franklin County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carnesville GA 30521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carroll’s Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Double Branches Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Carroll's Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 3.7 miles away); Original Site and Portions (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Franklin Springs (approx. 3.9 miles away); Tyrus Raymond Cobb (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carnesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,700 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.