Hampton in Hampton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
James Washington Moore House
This house, built between 1878 and 1885, was the home of James Washington Moore (1837-1912), lawyer, Confederate officer, state legislator, and militia officer. Moore, a native of Gillisonville, was educated at the University of Ga. and returned to S.C. in 1859 to practice law. He was a sergeant in the Hampton Legion Cavalry, then 1st lt. and adjutant of the 2nd S.C. Cavalry, and was wounded in 1863.
Moore represented Beaufort District in the S.C. House 1866-67, and moved to Hampton when Hampton County was created in 1878. He was Hampton County’s first state senator, serving 1878-1894 and 1901-02. Moore was also chairman of the senate military committee and an officer in the militia, retiring as a major general in 1891. He is buried at Gillisonville Baptist Church, in what is now Jasper County.
Erected 2008 by The Rivers Bridge Camp #842, Sons of Confederate Veterans. (Marker Number 25-12.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Oak Street West, Hampton SC 29924, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Hampton High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); All Wars Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War II POW Camp (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hampton County (approx. 0.3 miles away); American Legion Hut (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bank of Hampton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hampton Colored School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Miles McSweeney Home Site (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
Categories. • Government & Politics • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for James Washington Moore House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,142 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.