Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Erected 1872 by State of Michigan.
Topics. This historical marker memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 42° 19.87′ N, 83° 2.773′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodword Avenue (State Highway 12) and Woodward (State Highway 1), in the median on Woodword Avenue. Located in Campus Martius Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Iron Brigade / The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Michigania (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ford Building (about 500 feet away); Woodward Avenue Cultural Heritage Tour (about 500 feet away); Stearns Telephone (about 600 feet away); Spirit of Detroit State Savings Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Lernoult (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
Regarding Soldiers and Sailors Memorial. The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, at Campus Martius, Woodward and Michigan Avenues in Detroit, is the work of the sculptor, Randolph Rogers. The monument is about fifty-six feet in height and consists of a granite body, on which are mounted statues and medallions of bronze. At the top is a ten-foot statue which represents Michigan. Beneath it, on projecting abutments, are four allegorical figures representing Victory, Union, Emancipation, and History. Farther down are four figures representing the infantry, cavalry, artillery, and the navy. On the same level as these statues are medallion portraits of Lincoln, Grant, Sherman, and Farragut. On the outer pedestals of the monument are four eagles. The cost of the monument was close to $75,000, which was raised through popular subscription by the Michigan Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Association. The monument was erected in 1871 and dedicated on April 9, 1872. The four allegorical figures, however, were not put in place, to complete the monument, until July 19, 1881.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2010, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. This page has been viewed 1,567 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on January 20, 2010, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2010, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. 6. submitted on November 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.