Westerville in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Blendon Central Cemetery
Here, in 1829, at the corner of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads was established a cemetery in connection with Blendon Central Church. This site was selected by the Blendon Presbyterian Assembly. Being the geographic center of the township, this served as a compromise to the wishes of members living along Alum Creek and those along Big Walnut Creek. The first burial place in Blendon township, Pioneer Cemetery, was located about 2 miles from here on the old Columbus Turnpike. The first sermon preached to the pioneer settlers was delivered in 1812 by Reverend James Hoge of Columbus in a log School House at Pioneer Cemetery. The subject of building a house of worship was discussed in 1826. Finally, in the fall of 1829, a substantial house of worship was built here and dedicated, along with the adjacent burial ground known as Blendon Cemetery. The land was donated by Squire Timothy Lee. Shortly after the dedication, the new Blendon Church burned down. Speculation as to the cause of this fire continues to this day. Gathered around the dying embers, the church members held a prayer meeting and resolved to rebuild as soon as possible. Another church
This marker dedicated May 30, 1969 by the Franklin County Historical Society
Erected by the Blendon Township Trustees
Harry L. Cook, Chairman
Dale Linnabary 1932-1969
V. J. Clapham 1938-1968
Kenneth V. Noble, Jr.
William R. Mnich
Vernon E. Mysell, Clerk
Erected 1969 by Franklin County Historical Society and the Blendon Township Trustees.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical date for this entry is May 30, 1791.
Location. 40° 5.724′ N, 82° 54.235′ W. Marker is in Westerville, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is in Blendon Central Cemetery, about 90 feet south of the flagpole and about 400 feet northeast of the intersection of Dempsey and Hempstead Roads. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westerville OH 43081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blendon Township War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First Blendon Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Phelps (about 300 feet away); Blendon Township's Early Presbyterian Churches and Church Bell Phelps Acre Park (about 600 feet away); The Ellsworth Chapel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Central College Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Clarence Boal Hoover / Charles Potter Hoover (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westerville.
Also see . . . Blendon Central Cemetery. (Submitted on January 20, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 825 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.