Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
(Now Samford University)
The liberal arts college moved to this site in 1887 and relocated to its present campus in Homewood, Alabama in 1957. It was renamed Samford University in 1965.
Erected 1963 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 33° 33.63′ N, 86° 43.482′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue South, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7737 2nd Avenue South, Birmingham AL 35206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruhama Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); East Lake Community (approx. ¼ mile away); East Lake Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); CDR "Snuffy" Smith (approx. 0.8 miles away); Forrest Camp No. 1435 (approx. 1.7 miles away); United Confederate Veterans 1963 Church Bombing Victims (approx. 1.7 miles away); Roebuck Springs Historic District (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,114 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.