Piqua in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Public History Movement
of the Daughters of the American
Revolution in commemoration of
the last Battle of the French and
Indian War, fought near this spot,
[Bottom half of Marker]
Battle between Native American tribes allied with the
French and tribes allied with the British as recounted nearly
A half century later by Chief Black Hoof to John Johnston. Who
Retold the story in 1846 to Henry Howe during the latter’s oral
History tour of Ohio. The details of the battle bear
Similarities to the destruction of Fort Pickawillany and may
Have been another account of this conflict. Extant documentation
Of the 1763 battle is based on Col. Johnston’s recollection.
This original marker, once located at the north corner
Of Hardin and Hardin Alternate roads, is more than
An outdated version of history. Many historians would view
This marker as a glimpse of how 1898 Piqua viewed the past.
The Piqua Chapter was active in the public history movement of the
1890’s by marking historic sites and publishing a local history book.
Erected 2006 by Daughters of the American Revolution and Piqua – Lewis Boyer Chapter DAR.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 40° 10.771′ N, 84° 15.745′ W. Marker is in Piqua, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is on North Hardin Road 0.1 miles north of Ohio Route 66, on the right when traveling north. This historical marker is located immediately in front of the Piqua Historic Area, which is a property owned and maintained by the Ohio Historical Society. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piqua OH 45356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Pickawillany (here, next to this marker); Pickawillany (here, next to this marker); John Johnston (here, next to this marker); In Commemoration of the 94th & 110th Reg’s. O.V.I. (here, next to this marker); Indian Agency House (a few steps from this Johnston Barn (approx. ¼ mile away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. ¼ mile away); The Cider House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piqua.
Also see . . .
1. Piqua Historic Area. This web link was both published and made available by, "Touring Ohio." (Submitted on January 23, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Pickawillany. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on January 23, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 864 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 23, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on January 23, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.