Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Colonel James Wood
Colonel Wood was the first surveyor of the county of Orange, from which the new county of Frederick was carved by authority of an act of the House of Burgesses passed in 1738. Upon the formal organization of Frederick County, in 1743, he was commissioned by the Governor of the Colony of Virginia to act as the first clerk of Frederick Couny, an office which he held until his death on November 6, 1759.
Under his supervision the first court house for Frederick County was built. It stood upon the site of the present structure and was, in fact, the first court house erected west of the Blue Ridge. During its construction the office of the county clerk was held in a building on the lawn of his residence, "Glen Burnie," built by him in the western suburbs. This mansion, still in the possession of lineal descendants, illustrates one of the types of pre-Revolutionary architecture in Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1752.
Location. 39° 11.067′ N, 78° 9.903′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Loudoun Street and Rouss Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Loudoun Street. Located at the front of the Frederick County Courthouse. Both Loudoun and Rouss streets are closed to vehicle traffic around the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lord Fairfax (here, next to this marker); George Washington's Political Career Began on this Site (a few steps from this marker); Frederick County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob H. Yost Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wilbur M. Feltner Building (within shouting distance of this marker); A View of Winchester in 1745 - The Four Public Lots (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,408 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.