Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Rue in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery

 
 
Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, March 17, 2025
1. Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery Marker
Inscription. In the late 1850s the Ralph Hunter League in eastern Henderson County was divided among David O. Warren's heirs and settlement of this area began in earnest. According to local history, John Dickey Morrison (1830-1896), though not an ordained minister, delivered sermons to the assembled community from a small chapel on this site which became known as Morrison Chapel. The structure also was used as a school for local children. The community gradually took on the name Morrison Chapel community.

The first marked burial on this site was that of Carolyn B. Corder (1879-1880), the infant daughter of William J. and Martha Corder. More settlers followed their example, choosing to bury their dead around the chapel. When space was needed for additional graves the chapel was moved to another location off the cemetery grounds.

The Texas and New Orleans Railroad came through the community in 1901, renaming it La Rue for Joseph Thomas La Rue of Athens, whose efforts helped bring the railroad to this area. The chapel and school building was sold and moved into the town of La Rue in 1903.

John E. Marr of Limestone County owned the property on which the cemetery was located. In 1906 Marr agreed to deed two acres to the Morrison Chapel community. The cemetery gradually became known by local residents as La Rue Cemetery. In 1998 the cemetery held about 550 graves and was still in use. The burial ground for many area pioneers and their descendants, the Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery remains a record of the pioneer settlers of Henderson County
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14587.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 32° 7.451′ N, 95° 40.222′ W.
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is in La Rue, Texas, in Henderson County. It is on County Road 4350 north of County Road 4336, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at the entrance to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Larue TX 75770, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the American South and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: The Rev. Thomas Hunt Hall, M.D. (approx. 2.9 miles away); New York Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Davis Reynolds (approx. 3.1 miles away); Poynor Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Poynor (approx. 5.4 miles away); Baxter School (approx. 5½ miles away); Fincastle Cemetery and Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Pilgrim’s Rest Primitive Baptist Church
Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, March 17, 2025
2. Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery and Marker
(approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2025. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
m=269072

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2026