Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
It first consisted of four to five acres enclosed by a stockade sixteen feet high. In the spring of 1864 following the Confederate victories at Mansfield, Louisiana and Mark's Mills, Arkansas the enclosure was doubled to accommodate the large influx of prisoners. Approximately 4700 Federals were confined here during this period. This overcrowded condition was somewhat relieved through a series of prisoner of war exchanges between the North and the South.
Union soldiers representing nearly one hundred different regiments plus sailors from gunboats and transports were confined here. In addition there were imprisoned Union sympathizers, spies and even Confederate deserters.
The prisoners constructed their own shelters ranging from log huts and burrows called "shebangs" to brush arbors and tents made of blankets.
Although escape attempts were frequent, very few were successful due to the long distance to Union lines and the difficulty in eluding the tracking hounds used by the Confederate guards.
Even though conditions were primitive it compared favorably with the other Civil War prison camps. Camp Ford continued to serve as a prison until the surrender of the Trans-Mississippi department in May, 1865. It was later destroyed by Federal occupation troops.
Erected 1962 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7709.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 23.819′ N, 95° 16.067′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 271 and Loop State Highway 323, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 271. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6288 Highway 271, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Camp Ford (here, next to this marker); Camp Ford Stockade (within shouting distance of this marker); Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford - Establishment of the Camp (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Ford Confederate Guards (about 300 feet away); Camp Ford - Early Days as a Prison Camp (about 300 feet away); African Americans at Camp Ford (about 300 feet away); Camp Ford - Prisoners from Louisiana (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Regarding Camp Ford. At the marker site, there is a short loop trail describing various camp remains.
Camp Ford was the largest Confederate Prisoner of War Camp west of the Mississippi River during the American Civil War. Established in August of 1863, the camp was not closed until May 19, 1865. At its peak in July 1864, over 5,300 prisoners were detained there. (Smith County Historical Society)
1. Texas Historical Markers
The State of Texas erected virtually no historical markers after the 1936 Centennial.
— Submitted December 12, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,274 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. 4. submitted on January 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 5. submitted on September 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.