Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Radnor in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate

 
 
Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., circa 2009
1. Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate Marker
Inscription.  
Built in 1910, this lych gate was designed by local architect William Robert Powell to commemorate early settlers of Radnor who emigrated from Wales. Traditional in England and Wales, lych gates are covered gateways used to shelter coffins until clergymen arrive for burial. The Radnor lych gate has two openings: a larger one designed for horse-drawn hearse and a smaller one for mourners. Powell added the tower to resemble a church steeple for a more ecclesiastical style. Constructed of stone from the local Meredith quarry, the gate features raised joints and oak gates to close the entrance.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Radnor Township Trustees, The Radnor Heritage Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-21.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
40° 23.06′ N, 83° 8.977′ W. Marker is in Radnor, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is on Radnor Road (County Road 198) 0.1 miles east of State Route 203, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Radnor OH 43066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Radnor Village and Township (within shouting distance of this marker); Radnor Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Powell General Store (about 300 feet away); Radnor Township Hall (about 300 feet away); Radnor Congregational United Church of Christ (about 300 feet away); Independent Order of Odd Fellows (about 500 feet away); Radnor School Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Radnor Presbyterian Log Church (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Radnor.
 
Also see . . .  Lych Gate. (Submitted on January 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., circa 2009
2. Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate and Marker
Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., 2009
3. Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate and Marker
Radnor Cemetery View image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., 2009
4. Radnor Cemetery View
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,646 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26929

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024