Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Surry in Surry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

English Settlement on Gray’s Creek

 
 
English Settlement on Gray's Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
1. English Settlement on Gray's Creek Marker
Inscription.  English settlement along Gray’s Creek began by 1609 when Capt. John Smith ordered a defensive fortification built on the tidal creek opposite Jamestown. Though the English did not finish construction the fort (known as Smith’s Fort) and soon abandoned it, an earthwork remains on a high bluff overlooking Gray’s Creek. It is believed that Thomas Rolfe, the only child of John Rolfe and Pocahontas, inherited his father’s patent along this creek. The stream was named Smith’s Fort Creek and the Rolfe’s Creek. By 1648 it became known as Gray’s Creek for Thomas Gray, who had patented land at the mouth of the creek.
 
Erected 2004 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-319.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1609.
 
Location. 37° 8.037′ N, 76° 53.166′ W. Marker is in Surry, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Colonial Trail West (Virginia Route 10) and Hollybush Road (County Route 618), on the right when traveling north on Colonial Trail West. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Surry VA 23883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pace’s Paines (a few steps from this marker); Southwark Parish Churches (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glebe House of Southwark Parish (approx. 0.3 miles away); Organization of the Christian Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Surry County WWII Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); Smith’s Fort Plantation (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chanco (approx. 2.8 miles away); Surry County War Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Surry.
 
More about this marker. This marker sits with K-224 and across the street from K-229.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,440 times since then and 259 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 24, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2696

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2023