Dawson in Terrell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Confederate Gun Shop
Which made Dickson-Nelson rifles
1864 – 1865
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 31° 46.4′ N, 84° 26.733′ W. Marker is in Dawson, Georgia, in Terrell County. Marker is at the intersection of East Lee Street (Georgia Route 32) and Stonewall Street SE, on the right when traveling east on East Lee Street. The marker is on the lawn of the Terrell County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson GA 39842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. To The Memory of James Mathews Griggs (a few steps from this marker); Terrell County (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different Confederate Gun Shop (approx. half a mile away); Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Herod Town (approx. 5.1 miles away); General Andrew Jackson (approx. 5.2 miles away); 1827 Site of Chenube Indian Village (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson.
1. Dickson-Nelson Rifles
In 1861 the state of Alabama contracted the Shakanoosa Arms Company, owned by William Dickson, Owen O. Nelson and Dr. Lewis H. Sadler, to produce a modified version of the Model 1841 rifled musket (the "Mississippi" Rifle) with bayonets. Originally the firm was at Dickson, Alabama, but soon moved to Rome, Georgia. A fire destroyed the facilities there, and the company moved to Adairsville, Georgia. Finally in March 1864, the company moved to Dawson, Georgia, where it continued to produce weapons up to the end of the war. With less than 1000 received by Confederate forces, today the Dickson-Nelson rifles are rare.
— Submitted January 29, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg,
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,531 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.