Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newton in Baker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Baker County

 
 
Baker County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
1. Baker County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 12 & 24, 1825, is named for Col. John Baker of Revolutionary fame. The original County Site was at Byron but an Act of Dec. 26, 1831, established a new Site which was named Newton for Sgt. John Newton, a Revolutionary soldier. One of the hardest battles of the Creek Indian War was fought in Baker County at Chickasawhachee Creek in 1836. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Stafford Long, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Thomas F. Whittington, Coroner John Gillion and Surveyor Jno. C. Neil.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 004-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US RevolutionaryWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 12, 1875.
 
Location. 31° 18.867′ N, 84° 20.117′ W. Marker is in Newton, Georgia, in Baker County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Main Street and Court Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. The marker stands at the rear of the old Baker County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton GA 39870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Spirit of Camilla (approx. 9.2 miles away); Old City Well (approx. 9.4 miles away); Camilla Massacre (approx. 9.4 miles away); Mitchell County (approx. 9.4 miles away); Mitchell County War Memorial (approx. 9.4 miles away); Hawthorne Trail (approx. 9.7 miles away); St. Valentine's Day Tornados (approx. 9.8 miles away); Battle of Chickasawachee Swamp (approx. 10 miles away).
 
Regarding Baker County. Flooding from the Flint River has damaged the Baker County Courthouse in the past, but in 1994 Tropical Storm Alberto caused the Flint to flood again, worse than ever before; floodwaters came almost to the second floor of the courthouse, and damaged every building in this area of Newton. The county moved the courthouse to an empty school building some distance away, on higher ground. The old courthouse has been renovated with Federal funds, but only one building is left on the courthouse square. Other than the courthouse and this one abandoned building, only empty streets remain in “old” Newton.
 
Baker County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
2. Baker County Marker
The marker stands at the rear of the courthouse.
Baker County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
3. Baker County Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1906 by the Atlanta Fireproofing Company. In 1994 the court was flooded to the second floor level.
Baker County Courthouse Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
4. Baker County Courthouse Square
This is the only building still standing on the courthouse square in Newton.
Baker County Courthouse Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
5. Baker County Courthouse Square
Before the 1994 flood, this street was filled with buildings, which faced the courthouse.
Baker County Courthouse Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
6. Baker County Courthouse Square
The street at the rear of the courthouse was also filled with buildings until the 1994 flood.
Baker County Courthouse Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
7. Baker County Courthouse Square
The streets northwest of the courthouse; houses and buildings stood here until 1994.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,750 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26981

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 20, 2024