Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Dedicated at the construction completion March 1, 2002
Owners - BLH Group, LLC
Brookmont Investors II, LLC
Spire Holdings, LLC
Developer - Brookmont Realty Group, LLC
General Contractor - B.L. Harbert International, LLC
Architect - Williams-Blackstock Architects, P.C.
Concord Center stands on the site of Birmingham's first County Courthouse, constructed in 1875. The growth of a bustling town demanded the construction of a new Jefferson County Courthouse by 1888. Built on the same site, this second courthouse was Birmingham's first high-rise building, and the largest and most architecturally distinctive building constructed in the city for many years. The courthouse was designed in the Richardsonian - Romanesque style, featuring two square towers capped with pyramidal roofs that framed a central clock tower, as pictured in the historical photograph.
The courthouse was razed in 1937 to encourage redevelopment, and the site remained a parking lot until the groundbreaking of Concord Center in June 2000. The distinctive architectural design
Erected 2002 by BLH Group, LLC.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Notable Places.
Location. 33° 31.032′ N, 86° 48.336′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from 3rd Avenue North near Richard Arrington Jr, Blvd North. This marker is mounted on a outside column on the southwest corner of the building facing toward inside of the corner plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2100 3rd Avenue North, Birmingham AL 35203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson County Courthouse Site (a few steps from this marker); Title Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dewberry Drugs and Phenix Insurance Company Buildings (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Berry Project (about 600 feet away); Clark Building (about 700 feet away); Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II / Tutwiler Hotel (about 800 feet away); The Heaviest Corner On Earth (approx. 0.2 miles away); S. H. Kress Five-And-Ten Cent Store (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Also see . . .
1. Image of the second Jefferson County Courthouse on this site. From the Birmingham Public Library Digital Collection. (Submitted on January 30, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
2. 1908 corner view of the Jefferson County Courthouse. This is the same angle view of the Concord Center today. (Birmingham Public Library Digital Collection) (Submitted on January 30, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,314 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.