Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Statenville in Echols County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Echols County

 
 
Echols County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
1. Echols County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 13, 1858, is named for Col. Robert M. Echols, for 24 years a member of the General Assembly. He was a President of the Georgia Senate and a Brigadier General in the Mexican War during which he died. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James S. Carter, Ordinary James P.Y. Higdon, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Jesse P. Prescott, Tax Receiver John E. McMullen, Tax collector Samuel E. Prescott, Treasurer James Carter, Surveyor Duncan McLeon and Coroner John Sellers.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 050-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementSettlements & SettlersWar, Mexican-American. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 13, 1847.
 
Location. 30° 42.194′ N, 83° 1.677′ W. Marker is in Statenville, Georgia, in Echols County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 129 and Georgia Route 94, on the right when traveling
Echols County Marker on the lawn of the Echols County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
2. Echols County Marker on the lawn of the Echols County Courthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
north on U.S. 129. The marker stands on the lawn of the Echols County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Statenville GA 31648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ewell Brown General Merchandise Store (approx. 9.3 miles away); Wayfare or Cow Creek Church (approx. 10.7 miles away); Skirmish at Cow Creek (approx. 10.7 miles away); Florida Branch Railroad (approx. 13.7 miles away in Florida); First Methodist Church of Jasper (approx. 13.9 miles away in Florida).
 
Regarding Echols County. Statenville, the county seat (spelled "Statesville" in the enabling act) is unusual in that it has zero population. In 1958 a bill passed by the General Assembly restricted the city limits to the courthouse square, so the 500 or so people who lived in the town are now residents of the county only.
 
Echols County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
3. Echols County Marker
The marker can just be seen to the right of this intersection, the only traffic light in Statenville.
Echols County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
4. Echols County Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1956.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,179 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27038

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022