Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Jefferson County Courthouse Site

 
 
Jefferson County Courthouse Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 3, 2009
1. Jefferson County Courthouse Site Marker
Inscription.  

The county seat of Jefferson County was moved from Elyton to Birmingham in 1873. On this site stood the first Courthouse in the City of Birmingham. The Italianate style structure was designed by architect W. K. Ball. Completed in 1875, the two-story red brick building cost $30,500. In 1887 it was condemned as unsafe, and a new Courthouse was planned.

Reverse:
In 1889 a second Jefferson County Courthouse was constructed on this site. Charles Wheelock and Sons of Birmingham and H. Wolters of Louisville were the architects. Charles Pearce of Indianapolis was contractor. Constructed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the four-story brick building had a central clock tower rising 180 feet. Total cost was $300,000. This Courthouse served Jefferson County until 1931 when a new Courthouse was built several blocks to the north. The structure was razed in 1937.
 
Erected 1991 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsLandmarks.
 
Location. 33° 
Jefferson County Courthouse Site Marker reverse image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 3, 2009
2. Jefferson County Courthouse Site Marker reverse
31.038′ N, 86° 48.342′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Richard Arrington, Jr. Blvd North north of 3rd Avenue North. Located at the northeast corner of the Concord Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Concord Center (a few steps from this marker); Title Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dewberry Drugs and Phenix Insurance Company Buildings (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Berry Project (about 600 feet away); Clark Building (about 700 feet away); Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II / Tutwiler Hotel (about 700 feet away); S. H. Kress Five-And-Ten Cent Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil Rights Freedom Riders (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
 
Jefferson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
circa 1910
3. Jefferson County Courthouse
Concord Center built on the site of the former Jefferson County Courthouses image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, 0703/2009
4. Concord Center built on the site of the former Jefferson County Courthouses
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,401 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   3. submitted on October 6, 2013.   4. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021