Ashton in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cross Swamp Methodist Church
Cross Swamp Methodist Church, the first Methodist congregation in upper Colleton County, was founded in 1808. James and Asia Sineath deeded an acre on this site to church trustees in April and the first sanctuary, which was a log pole building, appears as a “meeting house” on a November 1808 plat.
The second sanctuary, a hewn log building, was replaced by a frame sanctuary shortly before the Civil War. That church burned in 1910; this sanctuary was built and dedicated in 1911. Cross Swamp was on the Lodge Circuit when regular services ended in 1969. The cemetery here dates from the 19th century.
Erected 2008 by The Cross Swamp Cemetery Association. (Marker Number 15-20.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 58.276′ N, 80° 56.457′ W. Marker is in Ashton, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is on Lively Stone Road. Located Approx. 200 Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Islandton SC 29929, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bonnie E. Cone (approx. 6.7 miles away); John Jacob Heyer (approx. 7.3 miles away); Cherry Grove Christian Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); Whippy Swamp Muster Ground (approx. 8.8 miles away); Ehrhardt Hall (approx. 9.4 miles away); Conrad Ehrhardt Railroad Park (approx. 9.7 miles away); Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away); St. Johns Baptist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Battle At Rivers Bridge / Rivers Bridge Memorials (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Cross Swamp Methodist Church Cemetery. This was originally called the Jones and Murdaugh Family Cemetary. (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,267 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.