Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Chapel

 
 
Old Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
1. Old Chapel Marker
Inscription.  The second place of worship, 1751-1806. Here many noted persons of the American Revolution heard early Moravian music and the Gospel. Prominent clergy were Bishops Nitschmann, Spangenberg, de Watteville, and Ettwein.
 
Erected 1953 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
 
Location. 40° 37.151′ N, 75° 22.873′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on Heckewelder Place, on the left when traveling south. Marker is about 50 feet NE of Central Moravian Church, about 150 feet north of the intersection of Heckwelder Place and Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Old Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Gemein Haus (within shouting
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); Gemeinhaus (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Moravian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Restoration of the Nain-Schober House (within shouting distance of this marker); Moravian Community (within shouting distance of this marker); John Frederick Wolle (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Bethlehem. (Submitted on February 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. David Nitschmann. (Submitted on February 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. John Ettwein. (Submitted on February 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. MarkerQuest - The Old Chapel. Images and information pertaining to the Moravians and the chapel. (Submitted on July 14, 2021, by Laura Klotz of Northampton, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Old Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
2. Old Chapel and Marker
Gemeinhaus to right.
Old Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
3. Old Chapel Marker
Looking west, with Central Moravian Church in background across Heckewelder Place.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,124 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27165

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024