Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Urbanna in Middlesex County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Christopher Robinson

 
 
Christopher Robinson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 16, 2010
1. Christopher Robinson Marker
Inscription.  in 1678, Christopher Robinson purchased 300 acres here that became Hewick, the Virginia seat of the Robinson family. Robinson’s distinguished service to Virginia began as the clerk of Middlesex County Court from 1677 to 1688. He was elected to the House of Burgesses in 1691, and, in 1692, was appointed Councillor and Secretary of the Foreign Plantations by King William III of England. Robinson’s final contribution to colonial Virginia came in 1693, when he served as a founding trustee of William and Mary College.
 
Erected 1992 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number OC-36.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraEducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1678.
 
Location. 37° 38.304′ N, 76° 35.25′ W. Marker is near Urbanna, Virginia, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Old Virginia Street (County Route 602) near Town Bridge Road / Lord Mott Road (
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County Route 615), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Urbanna VA 23175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Urbanna Baseball (approx. half a mile away); Wormeley-Lee-Montague House and Marble House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Urbanna School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Grave of Arthur Lee (approx. 0.6 miles away); Arthur Lee (approx. 0.6 miles away); Landsdowne (approx. 0.6 miles away); Coca-Cola Bottling Plant (approx. 0.6 miles away); Prince George Street and Old Tavern (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Urbanna.
 
Also see . . .  Christopher Robinson, Esq. of “Hewick”. “It was in this year that Christopher Robinson’s name appears as a trustee and a founder of the college. Not only this, but the interests and influence of this man, led him into every field of service to the colony. The facts concerning his career place him among the makers of Virginia’s early political history. He had received every advantage of education, wealth, and family connection, which made his coming to the colony an event of import to affairs of state. We read that he was the elder brother of John Robinson, Bishop of London and Plenipotentiary to the Council of Utrecht, and was born at Cleasby, Yorkshire,
Christopher Robinson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 16, 2010
2. Christopher Robinson Marker
England in 1645. He came to this country about the year 1660, and settled in Middlesex County. The records of Old Christ Church near Urbanna give his name as vestry man in 1664.” (Submitted on February 5, 2010.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Hewick Plantation
This marker is at the entrance of “Hewick Plantation,” which is located on sixty-six acres. Up until it was sold in 2005, Hewick had never been out of the hands of the Robinson Family. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted December 1, 2010, by Helen Nichols Murphy Battleson of Coronado, California.

2. Hewick
The marker is in error regarding the 300 acres: that tract is in another part of the county. The Hewick lands came into Christopher Robinson’s hands in right of his wife, Agatha Obert.
    — Submitted December 1, 2010, by P. A. Miller of Richmond, California.
 
Hewick, the View from the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 16, 2010
3. Hewick, the View from the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,607 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of Hewick grounds and interior of the house. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27178

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024