Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Old Chapel

 
 
The Old Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
1. The Old Chapel Marker
Inscription.  
Before and during the American Revolution many noted patriots worshiped here, including George Washington, Martha Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Count Casimir Pulaski and the Marquis de Lafayette.

In 1792 fifty-one chiefs and warriors from the Iroquois Confederacy visited this chapel. Among the chiefs were Sagoyewatha (Red Jacket) and Gyantwakia (Cornplanter). Bishop John Ettwein greeted them, and girls from the Moravian Seminary for Young Ladies read poems in their honor. Afterward, Good Peter, an Oneida warrior, spoke:

We will tell our children and grandchildren what has transpired today, and hope that, at no remote time, they may be favored in their dark wilderness with schools such as are to be found in this happy village, where the grace of the Great Spirit reigns in so peculiar a way.

This tablet was placed here in honor of the two hundred and
fiftieth anniversary of the building of this Moravian chapel.

1751 - 2001

———————

The
Old Chapel
Erected A.D. 1751
Second
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Place of
worship in
Bethlehem

 
Erected 2001.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #02 John Adams series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
 
Location. 40° 37.15′ N, 75° 22.859′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on Heckwelder Place, on the left when traveling south. Marker is on the north wall of the Old Chapel, near the entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Gemein Haus (within shouting distance of this marker); Gemeinhaus (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Moravian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters' House (within shouting distance of this marker); Restoration of the Nain-Schober House (within shouting distance of this marker); John Frederick Wolle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
 
Also see . . .
1. Early History of Bethlehem.
The Old Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
2. The Old Chapel Marker
On the east wall of the Old Chapel, in the courtyard facing Church Street.
(Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Bishop John Ettwein. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
The Old Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
3. The Old Chapel and Marker
The Old Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
4. The Old Chapel and Marker
Bell House (Girl's Seminary) to right.
The Old Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
5. The Old Chapel and Marker
Gemeinhaus (white clapboard) to left.
The Old Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
6. The Old Chapel
Old Chapel PHMC Marker in right foreground, with Gemeinhaus (white building) in right background, and Bell House at extreme left distance; both are attached to the Old Chapel. View from Heckwelder Place.
<i>Dead House and Old Moravian Chapel, Bethlehem, Pa.</i> image. Click for full size.
Postcard by A.C. Bosselman & Co., circa 1908
7. Dead House and Old Moravian Chapel, Bethlehem, Pa.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,203 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   7. submitted on December 14, 2014.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27189

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024