Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
One-half block south, stands the home of John Heckewelder, famed Indian missionary and interpreter, author of works on American Indians. House was erected in 1810.
Erected 1953 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
Location. 40° 37.234′ N, 75° 22.869′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Heckwelder Place, on the left when traveling west on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 65 W Market Street, Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pulaski's Banner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Horsfield House (about 300 feet away); Restoration of the Nain-Schober House (about 300 feet away); Lafayette First House of Moravian Settlement (about 400 feet away); First Bethlehem Pharmacy (about 400 feet away); Moravian Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Old Chapel (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
Also see . . .
1. The Salem Mission. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Heckewelder House - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. MarkerQuest - Heckewelder House and John Frederick Wolle. Further information about the Heckewelder House and John Frederick Wolle's Bach Choir, which uses it as their headquarters today. (Submitted on November 18, 2020, by Laura Klotz of Northampton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on August 16, 2015, by Carolyn Martienssen of West Hazleton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on May 28, 2020, by Laura Klotz of Northampton, Pennsylvania.