Butler in Taylor County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First officers of Taylor County, commissioned July 24, 1852 were: J.M. Thompson, Sheriff; J.M. McCants, Clerk Sup. Ct.; James T. Harmon, Clerk Inf. Ct.; A. Rhodes, Tax Rec.; Charles Loyd, Tax Col; J.B. Hamilton, Ordinary; C. Stewart, Coroner; Jonathan Stewart, Surveyor.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 133-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is July 24, 1977.
Location. 32° 33.429′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Butler GA 31006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Taylor County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Montgomery Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tuscaloosa Formation (approx. 5.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Wire Road (approx. 7.8 miles away); Taylor County Rural Electric Cooperative (approx. 8.6 miles away); Gen. John B. Gordon (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Butler.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,000 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.