Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Anderson Trading Post
Anderson, Colonel of the Militia in 1812, was taken prisoner at Detroit, later escaped.
Mrs. Anderson, alone at the time of the River Raisin massacre, successfully defied frenzied Indians who invaded the premises and lapped from the basement floor whiskey which she had emptied from the barrels. Mrs. Anderson sat defiantly upon the family money chest as the savages threatened her with upraised tomahawks. "Shame, so many Indians fight one squaw," Mrs. Anderson cried. Cowed by her words the Indians left and the home was not further molested.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Native Americans • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 41° 55.039′ N, 83° 23.569′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East Elm Avenue (State Highway 50) and North Macomb Street, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48162, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tecumseh's Headquarters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gov. Robt. McCelland House (about 600 feet away); Indian Trading Post (about 600 feet away); A Storied Homestead (about 800 feet away); Col. Francis Navarre (about 800 feet away); Eisenmann-Enteman Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Death of Capt. Woolfolk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Monroe Bank and Trust (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,250 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3. submitted on February 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.