Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ayr Township near McConnellsburg in Fulton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Last Confederate Bivouac

 
 
Last Confederate Bivouac Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 23, 2009
1. Last Confederate Bivouac Marker
Inscription.  General Bradley T. Johnson of the Confederate Army encamped 20 rods west of this marker at the Patterson home July 31, 1864 after the burning of Chambersburg. This was the last Confederate bivouac north of the Mason and Dixon line.
 
Erected 1930 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the Fulton County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1783.
 
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 39° 55.237′ N, 78° 0.379′ W. Marker was near McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, in Fulton County. It was in Ayr Township. Marker was at the intersection of Great Cove Road (U.S. 522) and Confederate Lane, on the right when traveling south on Great Cove Road. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 131 Great Cove Road, Mc Connellsburg PA 17233, United States of America.

We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
This page is an archival view of what was.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Last Confederate Bivouac (here, next to this marker); United Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); 203 Lincoln Way East (approx. 0.9 miles away); 205 Lincoln Way East (approx. 0.9 miles away); 105 Lincoln Way East (approx. 0.9 miles away); 209 Lincoln Way East (approx. 0.9 miles away); 111 Lincoln Way East (approx. 0.9 miles away); Changing Main Street (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McConnellsburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Report by Brig Gen Johnson. Full Valley Archive website entry (Submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 

2. Bradley Tyler Johnson. Find A Grave website entry (Submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Marker no longer being displayed.
This plaque, commemorating the final Confederate encampment in Pennsylvania will no longer be displayed by the state, having been “accessioned into PHMC’s collection for interpretive purposes.

Reasoning
Last Confederate Bivouac Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 23, 2009
2. Last Confederate Bivouac Marker
was: “The administration recognizes that some markers may contain outdated cultural references that must be addressed.” “These decisions are not made lightly or hastily.”
    — Submitted December 15, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Last Confederate Bivouac Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 23, 2009
3. Last Confederate Bivouac Marker
Looking north along US Route 522.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 4,184 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27264

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024