Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Capt. James McKay, I (1808 - 1876)
McKay was a dominant factor in the upbuilding of Tampa in pioneer times. His shipping lines established the first commercial connection with the outside world. In 1848, he built a courthouse; in 1858, opened the first cattle trade with Cuba, and in 1859, was elected Mayor.
During the Civil War, with his sidewheeler, the Scottish Chief, he became one of Florida's most active blockade-runners; also formed the "Cowboy Cavalry" to protect cattle drives headed for the war-front.
Erected by Tampa Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 27° 56.813′ N, 82° 27.449′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on Jackson Street (U.S. 41) near North Franklin Street, on the right. Located at the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William F. Poe Plaza (a few steps from this marker); Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rough Riders Passed By Here (within shouting distance of this marker); Tampa POW/MIA (within shouting distance of this marker); Great 1909 Auto Race (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tampa's First Paved Sidewalk (about 300 feet away); The Salvation Army (about 300 feet away); Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Also see . . . Divers Survey Wreckage of Civil War-era boat in Tampa. Wednesday, September 23, 2009 Blockade Runner Found in Tampa, By KEITH MORELLI The Tampa Tribune (Submitted on February 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,376 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.