Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek
This area has been called Goose Creek since the late 17th century. For almost 200 years after the Lords Proprietors granted large tracts to English, French Huguenot, and other planters, their plantations dominated the landscape. After the Civil War most plantations were subdivided into small farms, many of them owned by freedmen and their descendants. Rural farming communities grew up around area crossroads from the late 19th century to the mid-20th century.
City of Goose Creek
World War II and the Cold War brought dramatic growth to this area with the U.S. Ammunition Depot and Naval Weapons Annex in 1941 and 1959, respectively. The population grew so quickly that local leaders hoping to manage the influx chartered and incorporated the City of Goose Creek in 1961, with Hilton W. Bunch as its first mayor. In 1966 a building here, originally a laundry, was converted for use as the third Goose Creek City Hall, serving the town from 1974 to 1999.
Erected 2007 by Advance Auto Parts, Inc. (Marker Number 8-50.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Military • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1941.
Location. 32° 59.954′ N, 80° 2.44′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of St. James Avenue (U.S. 176) and Farm Road, on the right when traveling south on St. James Avenue. Located at Advance Auto Parts, curbside. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Button Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Boochawee Hall (approx. ¾ mile away); The Oaks (approx. 1.1 miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 1.4 miles away); Broom Hall Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away); Casey (Caice) (approx. 1.4 miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall (approx. 1½ miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,271 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.